With Presidential election upon us, I thought it only fitting to share diary excerpts of a young boy who was a not-so-whimpy kid. In fact, he was crowned king at the age of EIGHT!
8 Years Old
– My dad was killed. People didn’t like him so well, and now they’ve crowned me king of Judah. I know, right!? How can that be, I’m only 8 years old? Being a young king runs in the family, Grandpa Manasseh became King when he was 12, and dad, Amon, was 22 when he was crowned. Things are really a mess, too. This country of God’s chosen people have been led to do much evil and to worship other gods for about 300 years now. However, I am going to do what is right in the eyes of the Lord.
16 Years Old
– I’m sixteen now and have been king for eight years already. I’ve learned so much in that time. Seeking God is something I have really begun to do.
20 Years Old
– This is my twelfth year as king, and I am 20 years old. I have given the executive order to purge and destroy all idols, altars and other instruments of evil throughout our country in order to return to being One Nation Under God.
26 Years Old
– So much has been accomplished in these 18 years of my reign, yet much remains. We have begun to repair the temple of the Lord, Our God. With honesty and fair wages the men have worked faithfully and are making great progress.
– You will not believe what was found in the ruins today. The Book of the Law! This was spoken to Moses by God himself over 800 years ago and has long been forgotten among my people. Shaphan, my secretary, began reading to me. When I heard the Laws, I was mortified! I tore my robes and wept bitterly. “Great is the Lord’s anger that is poured out on us because our fathers have not kept the word of the Lord; they have not acted in accordance with all that is written in this book.” (2 Chronicles 34:21)
– I held a press conference today. I read the words of Promise to God, the Covenant. Then in front of my country and in the presence of the Lord, I renewed that promise: “to follow the Lord and keep his commands, regulations and decrees with all [my] heart and all [my] soul, and to obey the words of the covenant written in this book.” (2 Chronicles 34:31) All the people then pledged themselves to the covenant.
39 Years Old
Words of tribute recorded:
“As long as [King Josiah] lived, they did not fail to follow the Lord, the God of their fathers.” (2 Chronicles 35:33b)
“Neither before nor after Josiah was there a king like him who turned to the Lord as he did – with all his heart and with all his soul and with all his strength, in accordance with all the Law of Moses.” (2 Kings 23:25)
Young King Josiah – he was no whimpy kid!
*The accounts of Josiah can be read in 2 Kings 22 – 23 and 2 Chronicles 34 – 35